Skip to main content

The Road to Baltimore

As I am writing this, it is the end of day two of traveling to Baltimore. Let me tell you, it has been quite the adventure. When you are dealing with a medical relocation with kids, you are usually referred to the local Ronald McDonald House for that temporary housing. Since we have been working on this for several months now, we have had a referral in for a while...or so we thought. The catch to this type of housing is that you cannot find out if you have been accepted to live there until around 48 hours or so before you arrive. I was told to call on Thursday to check on our acceptance. We had referrals to both RMH and a place like it called Our Children's House. I called RMH and the sweet woman told me we were on the waiting list, and she would send me a list of hotels with which they work, to give me a discounted rate until we could get a spot there. I was good with that answer. Then I called Our Children's House and found out our referral was never received.

Now, back up plans are always suggested, but you don't even get that until right before. I didn't have such plans because I thought surely we had been on this list long enough we would have a spot. Turns out - neither place had ever received our referral! I was freaking out. FREAKING out. Not just because we had no place to live, but because the alternatives were very expensive, even at a discounted rate. I was prepared for a $15-$20 a day stay with a place to prepare meals and such, not a hotel without a kitchenette. There was a mix up and our case worker apologized more than anyone has ever apologized to me before. We were packing up to leave the next morning. I prayed pretty hard for a place to stay and also for a lot of peace and calm. I have been a nervous wreck all week over this and I was almost to a total meltdown.

Friday morning I got up, cooked the big kids breakfast, finished packing, and waited on a call about housing. I talked to my case worker and we had a room until Tuesday at Our Children's House and then would need to transfer to a hotel. We got that plan in place. I wasn't super happy about it, but I just kept praying God would just open something else up to where we didn't have to move around. OCH is just a block and a half from our therapy place, so I was glad to at least be there for our first day. I called on some prayer warriors. I prayed a lot. I loaded my car and was so extra sweaty that my fitbit registered active minutes. KK and I got on the road to Fairfield where we picked up my parents and headed out. Now realize that Thursday night we had no room anywhere. I was prepared and planning to drive out with my daughter to a place without lodging secured anywhere. By three that afternoon, Our Children's House had a family checking out a few weeks early and we could stay the entire month! They only house 15 families at a time, so getting moved in there, and within walking distance of our therapy program is just a bigger miracle than I could have imagined. God answers prayers and I think the biggest point is that I was prepared to walk out without that plan in place and just trust something would open up before we got there.

The other major miracle is that Kaydence has been unusually happy. She has only fussed once or twice and nothing like she has been doing lately. The past month it seems she has screamed her new horror movie scream starting about 1:30 every afternoon. The only time she has been upset was today while we tried to eat lunch. We ate at a mexican food restaurant. It wasn't crowded or too loud, but she got all ticked off. I took her out on the patio to calm down and then decided to ask to just eat out there. The waiter and another worker were sooooo gracious to move all of the plates and chips and salsa out to me. It was warm, but she was happier. I was very thankful for that place and the amazing staff. I think she was just tired. She stayed up late last night stalking my dad as he slept. I woke up to find her sitting on her knees looking at him with a very intent look that indicated her hope to crawl in that bed, which probably would've given him a heart attack. (I giggle as I recall her expression.)

Tonight we had to drive an extra hour down the road because we had no idea that our place we had picked to stop tonight also has a major race track. Every hotel I checked was full. We found a room and it turns out that Kaydence really loves taking a shower. I'll catch y'all up more later. Tomorrow we should check in at our new residence for the month. Pray boldly folks. He still performs miracles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaydence is turning 3!

I realize it's been forever since I've written here, but life is so busy! I felt the urge to write this, because, let's be honest, there is no way Facebook will let me post a status this long. Kaydence turns 3 in a matter of minutes. She will probably be 3 years old by the time I get through writing this post. Where does the time go? It seems like just yesterday I was pregnant with her and feeling like I wanted to just wake up from a bad dream. Today, she is turning into a sweet little girl. Where do I even start? I guess I'll start with a word of thanksgiving that God has blessed me with such a treasure. I still don't understand why He would choose me to care for a child like Kaydence Grace. I'm really unworthy of any blessings, yet He chose me for her and her for me. She melts me every single day. You see, I'm still the same sinner I was when I started this blog. I'm not perfect, but He washes away my sins anyway. I'm so thankful. The sins chang

When Your Heart is Full

Today was the perfect spring day. The weather warmed up. The clouds cleared away leaving sunshine to warm your skin while the green grass feels cool beneath your toes. That is what I hope the day is like when I pass from this earth to be in the presence of my Heavenly Father, much like one of my very best friends did today. Life can be so cruel in that so many days it is just full of the best times, and then at the end you are left fighting the struggles of age. Yet so many blessing happen at all points of life, and the final victory is in that eternal life as a believer in Christ. I have known for a while now, that my grandma's life on earth was drawing to an end and for many days I have spent remembering so many great days spent with her. Her house was my absolute favorite place to be and it was easy to be there because we lived just across the pasture. She was my neighbor and I took full advantage of it. I can only slightly remember one incident when I was small that I was not

My Lowest Point

Since we have found happier ground right now , I thought I'd take a moment to share with you what has been my lowest point in this journey thus far - and I hope it is the lowest point period! I know, you're probably wondering why I am regressing to this story, but there may be someone out there who has felt this way and didn't know how to make sense of it, or feels guilty for feeling that way. So the day that I got that call that my amniotic fluid had tested positive for CMV, I texted my pastor and she came right out that afternoon. Tommy, the kids, and I were outside swinging and playing in the sunshine for a little bit when she arrived. She and I went in the house for a little while to pray and counsel. Now, keep in mind, I had already did a lot of thinking before she got there. We again talked about the possibility that God might just choose to take this tiny soul to be with Him. I might not ever know her outside of the womb on earth, but I would know her in Heaven. Pa