Skip to main content

Reflections

Since we've been home from KKI and our trip to Baltimore and back, Kaydence Grace has decided to declare a food war on mom. Now, if you can think about how picky some kids are in their eating, then multiply that by infinity, that's Kaydence Grace. Before we left, she was eating a full bowl of oatmeal each morning, maybe something for lunch like a sweet potato, and then her traditional banana and peanut butter at night, all interspersed with pediasure for the extra vitamins and calories.

Now, I am lucky to get her to eat half a bowl of oatmeal and a half of a banana and PB, but she wants that pediasure ALL the time. She is probably actually taking in more calories, but I need her to take in solid foods and not liquids. I wish she and I could switch food intake patterns for a while and we would each be happy - I could lose a little weight and she would gain enough to make her fill out some pants that match the length of her legs. I do not know why we are fighting this battle, but as I mentioned in a Facebook status last week, I would sure like KKI to call us up sooner than they thought. We need some help, and I'm tired of the fight. Meal times are exhausting!

However, Kaydence Grace did something today she has never done before. {Cue drumroll} Today, she played with baby dolls. Yes. Baby dolls. My mom and I just sat and smiled and watched her. Last summer, I worked hard to teach her to love baby dolls and to hug them and kiss them. She would do it once just to get me to leave her alone. This year at daycare, she was exposed to more babies than ever before, and when I hold babies, she smiles. I can't get too close because she also tries to hug them by putting them in an unsafe headlock, but we are working on that. I guess with all of that, she has found an expression for loving the dolls. /She peeked in the baby carriage and looked at them and took them out. She leaned over and kissed them. She smiled and lightly touched them. Then she picked them up and hurled them across the room. Hey, what can I say? She is a work in progress!


I won't go on and on about our other family milestone, because most who follow this have already seen the onslaught of pictures, but of course it was nice to see my husband and son lead the July 4th parade this year. Nineteen years ago, Tommy and his dad led the parade with his late brother's horse I guess for the last time until now. Leading the parade was quite the Neyland Boys tradition, until Wes died. It was a very bittersweet moment for us, but God's timing is impeccable, we just have to trust it. There is something to be said for small town celebrations, and I surely think there in no other place in the U.S.A. that I would rather be on Independence Day. Now I need to figure out which picture I am going to blow up to poster size like the rest of the years the Neyland Boys led the parade. Think I'm kidding? Seriously, posters. The Neyland Women did not document things in small ways. Everything is always big.

Between creating memories and food fighting, I have also put in some long hours creating decorated apparel. I have always, always wanted to make boutique-style outfits for kids, and it turns out that people really love personalized apparel. So, I make it. If you ask my kids what does your mom do or what does your mom enjoy, they will answer with, "She makes shirts." I have also dabbled recently in retail sales, but that part...that part is a little harder to get rolling. I'll keep trying though, because it is something I enjoy. We shall see where God takes us in this little business, because I put it in His hands. I have learned the hard way to just put it all in His hands. He will make it become what it will be. He will lead me wherever He wants me to be and wherever I can bring someone else to know Him. I truly hope that through my actions, someone else will see God's love. Kind of like how Kaydence is finally picking up on loving baby dolls. You have to show it for someone else to figure it out. Be the reflection, because as a song I used to sing at church says, you're the only Jesus some will ever see and you're the only Words of Life some will ever read, so let them see in you the One in who is all they'll ever need. Think on that, and live it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaydence is turning 3!

I realize it's been forever since I've written here, but life is so busy! I felt the urge to write this, because, let's be honest, there is no way Facebook will let me post a status this long. Kaydence turns 3 in a matter of minutes. She will probably be 3 years old by the time I get through writing this post. Where does the time go? It seems like just yesterday I was pregnant with her and feeling like I wanted to just wake up from a bad dream. Today, she is turning into a sweet little girl. Where do I even start? I guess I'll start with a word of thanksgiving that God has blessed me with such a treasure. I still don't understand why He would choose me to care for a child like Kaydence Grace. I'm really unworthy of any blessings, yet He chose me for her and her for me. She melts me every single day. You see, I'm still the same sinner I was when I started this blog. I'm not perfect, but He washes away my sins anyway. I'm so thankful. The sins chang

When Your Heart is Full

Today was the perfect spring day. The weather warmed up. The clouds cleared away leaving sunshine to warm your skin while the green grass feels cool beneath your toes. That is what I hope the day is like when I pass from this earth to be in the presence of my Heavenly Father, much like one of my very best friends did today. Life can be so cruel in that so many days it is just full of the best times, and then at the end you are left fighting the struggles of age. Yet so many blessing happen at all points of life, and the final victory is in that eternal life as a believer in Christ. I have known for a while now, that my grandma's life on earth was drawing to an end and for many days I have spent remembering so many great days spent with her. Her house was my absolute favorite place to be and it was easy to be there because we lived just across the pasture. She was my neighbor and I took full advantage of it. I can only slightly remember one incident when I was small that I was not

My Lowest Point

Since we have found happier ground right now , I thought I'd take a moment to share with you what has been my lowest point in this journey thus far - and I hope it is the lowest point period! I know, you're probably wondering why I am regressing to this story, but there may be someone out there who has felt this way and didn't know how to make sense of it, or feels guilty for feeling that way. So the day that I got that call that my amniotic fluid had tested positive for CMV, I texted my pastor and she came right out that afternoon. Tommy, the kids, and I were outside swinging and playing in the sunshine for a little bit when she arrived. She and I went in the house for a little while to pray and counsel. Now, keep in mind, I had already did a lot of thinking before she got there. We again talked about the possibility that God might just choose to take this tiny soul to be with Him. I might not ever know her outside of the womb on earth, but I would know her in Heaven. Pa