Skip to main content

She is an official Kindergartener

So Kaydence Grace begins Kindergarten officially tomorrow. It's hard to wrap my brain around this in some ways, but then it feels like the norm because she has been at school in PPCD since a few days after she turned three.

For those who are unfamiliar with this, Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) services begin very early for kids like K. She actually was about a year old before we were introduced to the program. It seems like we are never helped to the help we need until it is later than it should be! ECI services include therapy of different kinds, and probably some other stuff, but we weren't able to receive anything but Occupational Therapy and that is a whole other story for later. ECI services terminate at age 3 and kids enter their local school districts for services. Kaydence has make big strides since and I am very thankful for our school district.

But tomorrow she starts Kindergarten as an actual 5 year old with the other kids her age. It is truly bittersweet. I know I've lamented here before, but David lamented about the same things all the way through Psalms, so hang with me here. It is bittersweet because I look at the other kids and all they can do, and I allow myself to get a little sad. Some days I get a lot more sad. I look at Abigail and see her with her friends, and I realize that Kaydence doesn't have friends like that. Sure kids are friendly to her, but she isn't huddled up sharing secrets and sneaking my makeup upstairs with them. She can't take ballet yet. Worse, Abigail loves playing with other little girls K's age, but not K. Really, this is the hardest for me. She always questions when will her sister be able to play with her? It isn't her fault necessarily. It's just hard to play with a kid who wants to snatch your hair out of your head and sinisterly laugh as you scream in the horror of it.

Conversly, I am so thankful Kaydence reached age five. I am thankful she has a classroom that meets her needs and that neither she, nor other kids with different needs, have to be compromised in how they learn because one teacher cannot mesh all that together. I am thankful we have a school system that allows a kid like K to attend. I am thankful support staff is provided. I am thankful that her school is open to us. I am also thankful she is breathing. That she is healthy most of the time. That she really is a super smart kid even though communicating is hard.

I remind myself that regardless of how sad I feel sometimes, somewhere else is a mom who wonders if her kid who went missing is still alive. Somewhere else is a mom whose baby died and she is watching her friends' kids who would be the same age as her child, getting ready to head to kindergarten. Somewhere else is a woman who just wishes she could have one more moment with her child who died suddenly, or who died over a lengthy illness. Somewhere else is a woman who just wants to have just one baby, and she cannot conceive. Somewhere else.

To top off my mixed emotions, my first baby is beginning his last year on the elementary campus. Another tear drops. But goodness I am so glad he is growing up. He said at around age five, "Everyday I wake up is a special day." It really is. Today I had to take him to an orthodontist appointment. I got a little wistful looking at him in the car. He is already beginning to transition into being between a boy and a man. It scares me though I realize this is a long process. I certainly appreciate the time spent alone with him even though it takes doctors appointments to happen. Guess that broken arm and crooked teeth are a blessing!

Somedays I look around this crazy world and wonder how my kids will make it here. Crazy people are everywhere. The more educated we get, the more ignorant we are. People get more offended. In my humble opinion, if people would work on their own lives we would all get along a lot better. People need to work more and they wouldn't have time for craziness. An idle mind really is the devil's playground. Thus, I try very hard to instill in my children to just be hard workers and be a positive point in a negative place. That is best part of Kaydence Grace. She is usually a point of light. Unless you are at our house in the afternoon...then she is screaming her head off, but she is otherwise a source of joy I had never imagined before.

I keep seeing the link to the article about Iceland "eradicating" people with Down Syndrome. Talk about shallow thinking and small minds! I am just floored that anyone thinks this is awesome. Nope, the special needs life is not like others. It is hard, but there are so many rewards and blessings that come with it as well. Somewhere else, there is a woman who is probably torn up because she wanted a baby and feels she was dealt a raw hand, and chose to abort based on opinions of the experts. She might spend an eternity of what-ifs. She might not. I chose the route of if there is a heartbeat, there is hope. And here we have a Kindergartener, who wasn't even expected to take her first breath.

Comments

  1. That was written very eloquently. Your right, K is a point of light, and sure she has her moments, but hey we all do! God wanted Kaydence here for a reason, and I for one, am so truly grateful that He did!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kaydence is turning 3!

I realize it's been forever since I've written here, but life is so busy! I felt the urge to write this, because, let's be honest, there is no way Facebook will let me post a status this long. Kaydence turns 3 in a matter of minutes. She will probably be 3 years old by the time I get through writing this post. Where does the time go? It seems like just yesterday I was pregnant with her and feeling like I wanted to just wake up from a bad dream. Today, she is turning into a sweet little girl. Where do I even start? I guess I'll start with a word of thanksgiving that God has blessed me with such a treasure. I still don't understand why He would choose me to care for a child like Kaydence Grace. I'm really unworthy of any blessings, yet He chose me for her and her for me. She melts me every single day. You see, I'm still the same sinner I was when I started this blog. I'm not perfect, but He washes away my sins anyway. I'm so thankful. The sins chang

When Your Heart is Full

Today was the perfect spring day. The weather warmed up. The clouds cleared away leaving sunshine to warm your skin while the green grass feels cool beneath your toes. That is what I hope the day is like when I pass from this earth to be in the presence of my Heavenly Father, much like one of my very best friends did today. Life can be so cruel in that so many days it is just full of the best times, and then at the end you are left fighting the struggles of age. Yet so many blessing happen at all points of life, and the final victory is in that eternal life as a believer in Christ. I have known for a while now, that my grandma's life on earth was drawing to an end and for many days I have spent remembering so many great days spent with her. Her house was my absolute favorite place to be and it was easy to be there because we lived just across the pasture. She was my neighbor and I took full advantage of it. I can only slightly remember one incident when I was small that I was not

Every Day with Jesus is Sweeter than the Day Before

Today started off okay, then went about as south as it can get, but ended up one of the best days EVER! I went home yesterday and boy, homecomings are sweet these days! It doesn't get much better than little arms being so excited to wrap around your neck. As I drove in to my parents' house, there was sweet little Abigail jumping and waving at me. Of course my mother had her out "helping" her in the yard. Then today I got to wake up with my kids. It used to be such a chore to get up in the mornings, and I have to admit that physically I am still very exhausted, but waking up to my kids is a blessed feeling each day now. I was even excited to go to Dr. Blackwell's office today. I carried him, his nurses, and Cheryl strawberries from the Berry Patch in Fairfield. My cousin owns it and I must say the berries are super sweet and awesome. Yes, this is a quick commercial for him! My day was made when Dr. Blackwell thanked me for the berries and I told him they were a t