Skip to main content

I Know It's Been Almost a Month...

I know it's been almost a month since my last entry on this blog, but that's because the after my last post, Kaydence came home! I was waiting for MRI results to be shared with me, and that morning I received a phone call from the NP. I thought, "Oh no. This must be bad to get a phone call." I told Cynthia that I was pulling in to the parking garage and I'd be up in the nursery quickly. When I got there, she asked me if I was ready to take Kaydence home! I just felt disbelief. After 8 weeks I would finally take my baby girl home. My family would finally be together.
I called Tommy, who was also in disbelief. Thank goodness he had been transferred to a Dallas office the week before, so he was at least there in town and not in Tyler. He immediately met me at the Ronald McDonald House to clean our room and get stuff packed up. It had to be the fastest we had ever cleaned anything! Once at the hospital we had to watch the baby CPR video and get instruction from the doctor. That, in itself, was hilarious. Not the video, but the mannequin provided with it. Mini baby, as formally named, had a hole in it. It was hard to practice the breathing and compressions.
Finally, our nurse, Nancy, was able to escort us down to our vehicle. We put our baby in our car (with no monitors or oxygen) and hugged Nancy, and left for home. I will forever be grateful to Nancy and all of our wonderful nurses and doctors there at Baylor.
Driving home was so exciting. When we pulled into the driveway, there were yellow and pink ribbons tied around our trees welcoming us. Our pastor had tied them. And then we saw Wade and Abigail, who were going crazy in the yard. Wade was running around almost in circles and Abigail was jumping up and down. It was so great I thought my heart might explode. We all just hugged and kissed each other. Pastor Joy had also brought us the most amazing dinner. We ate, and just enjoyed being there together. At bedtime, my Wade and I slept in Kaydence's room. I didn't think I would ever sleep again to be honest. I was so nervous to have Kaydence home, and without any monitors! I was fearful something might happen if I fell asleep. I checked on her what felt like a bazillion times. I have since calmed down, and I am appreciating any rest I can get. I keep reminding myself that everything is totally in God's hands. I cannot place my faith anywhere else but in Him.
Thanks be to God!


Popular posts from this blog

A Week Feels Like A Lifetime

So Kaydence, my mother, and I have been here in Baltimore for a week. A very, very long week. I am afraid this may be the longest eight weeks of my life. I have ventured down to the business center in our condo building to locate the computer on which I am typing. I have to be super mindful to log off of everything when I am done! I just can't blog from my phone anymore. It's too hard! But probably not as hard as eating has been for Kaydence.

I'll attempt to give a good description of what she is tolerating thus far. The beginning of the week was the KKI staff evaluating and testing her. The first three meals I fed her. I would feed her what she normally eats at home (peanut butter mixed with mashed banana) and then attempt to feed her what she does not prefer, like strawberry applesauce. Therapists were evaluating her BEHAVIOR during this time. This whole program is actually behavioral therapy mixed with occupational therapy and speech therapy, the majority of it being be…

We are here!

Saturday, we began our journey to Baltimore, for the Intensive Feeding Clinic at Kennedy Krieger Institute. Tommy, my mom, Kaydence and I successfully made it to Love Field and flew Southwest to Baltimore, where a nice lady named Lorraine would meet us and take us to our apartment. Kaydence was a great flyer! She climbed all over her daddy and was up and down in the seat, peeking over the tops at unsuspecting strangers. She manhandled the pretzel bags for the sound they made and watched videos of her siblings and random kids online. We snapchatted away as well. She only yelled a couple of times and the lady in front of us commented on how well she did.

Lorraine came and picked us up as promised. She manages Chase Street Properties in Baltimore, and they began as a company specializing in medical relocation services. She is an angel here on earth for sure. From the moment I spoke with her on the phone, I knew she was sent to help us. She brought us to our little apartment, explaining l…

Self Reflection Always Happens

So along with learning new ways to help Kaydence, I have had my own self reflection of thoughts. So this post is more of a what is in Wendy's mind kind of post. Disclaimer: If you don't appreciate my thoughts, I don't care, because you haven't walked in my exact shoes, and I'm not looking for anyone's blessing or a debate.

1. I keep seeing this thing on Facebook about the ways to be a good wife according to a 1950s textbook for Home Economics. Now being a modern day Home Ec teacher, I seriously do not think this was in an actual textbook because renewal of body, mind or spirit was not a deal then. That's a today thing. I will also add that the other things listed aren't all a bad idea. I may give my husband a hard time, but I also know how much he appreciates a clean house and kids when he gets home. He does the same for me when I've been gone and he has been home and he is better at this actually. There are days when he has had a long day and when …