Skip to main content

And Kaydence Came Early!

So on Tuesday, February 28, 2012, I went for my first of 2 visits to see my doctor that week. I visited with Cheryl for the biophysical profile first. All looked pretty good. Then I went in for the Nonstress Test. I knew I was having contractions, but I thought they were just those good old Braxton Hicks kind. I had been feeling them for at least a couple of weeks, and wasn't really concerned because nothing else seemed to be happening with them.

During my NST, the nurses came in and took my blood pressure and would check the printout. Then Cheryl came in with Denise (a nurse) and I knew something wasn't right. Dr. Blackwell came in and said it was non-reactive. He was going to call Dallas. Shelly came back in and said I needed to go to a room and Dr. Blackwell would come talk to me and wanted to check me because I was having contractions. Oh boy. This wasn't sounding good. I texted Tommy and told him not to take Wade to College Station for music class. I then texted my coworker and said I wouldn't be Leaders 4 Life practice that night as something wasn't right with this appointment.

I knew that last week I would have a contraction and Kaydence's heart rate would decelerate. This was bad. Well, it was doing the same thing this week. I figured that Dr. Blackwell was going to tell me I needed to be monitored in the hospital or something. He checked me and I wasn't really dilated. He went back out and came in after calling Dallas again.

He calmly told me, "Wendy, this is going to be a shock to you, but we are going to deliver this baby today." Oh my goodness. That was a shock. I started to crumble and I cried a little. Dr. Blackwell had Denise drive me to the hospital. She also called Tommy and told him to meet us there. I will say I wasn't upset long as Denise is extremely funny and started telling me stories that made me just laugh.

We had been told we would deliver in Dallas, and I was okay with it, but sad too because I wouldn't have MY doctor or MY nurse there to deliver Kaydence. It would be people I wouldn't know and the same doctor and nurse delivered both of my other babies. So I actually felt better about being in Palestine to deliver after all. When I got over to Labor and Delivery, Nurse Lori was there waiting on me. I would be having a c-section (also a major fear of mine) and she got me all prepped and ready to go. Dr. Blackwell came in and had me sign all kinds of papers indicating the risks of the procedure. (Nothing like the possibility of death to make you feel better.) I signed away knowing that everything was in God's hands and Dr. Blackwell is a believer too, so I really was doing okay at this point. We weren't going to start until a crew from Baylor NICU arrived however and that gave me a little time to get nervous.

Tommy finally got there and so did my parents. I was doing pretty well with it all until I tried to tell my friend Jennifer where everything was that I might need at my house. She was kind enough to pack up some things for me. Well I just got so frustrated trying to think of things and explain their whereabouts that I couldn't go on. I started seriously freaking out. I was there anticipating surgery and I had never even had anything done. My other two kids were natural births - no epidurals. I told Jennifer I couldn't tell her anymore and I gave the phone to Tommy. My mom actually came over, started stroking my hand and telling me to breathe and calm down. I did eventually, but I was still having a hard time. My stomach was upset and I kept having to get up to go to the bathroom and I was embarrassed to even ask to be unhooked from everything so often. My last trip to the bathroom I finally heard the helicopter arriving and I knew it was the team from Baylor.

I went back to my bed. My pastor was there and was ready to lead us in a word of prayer, but Dr. Blackwell beat her to it. There is nothing more comforting than the doctor, who is about to cut you open and deliver your 33 week baby, holding your hand and praying over you. They wheeled me back and all kinds of folks were there to see me off to the delivery room. I was just praying to God that everything would be okay and watching my baby kick my belly.

Tommy's cousin Kimberly had already given me a pretty good description of everything I was about to feel, so I did feel a little prepared. The anesthesiologist gave me a really good play by play as well. I sat on the bed in the OR and leaned against Lori as the spinal block was administered. Looking into Lori's eyes and leaning on her really helped me through it all as she is one great pep talker! This woman has been awesome to help deliver all three of my babies.

It was finally time to get started. Tommy held my hand and I felt some pressure and Kaydence was here! I know there was more to it, but really it seemed that fast. Then I felt a little queasy due to some motion sickness feelings. That was strange. I really wanted to see my baby girl, but the Dallas team was working on her, so I kept looking like I could really see around the curtain. I just kept feeling like I was going down the first big hill of a roller coaster with all of the numbness and them working on me, but finally, finally, I heard her cry and then the nurses brought Kaydence around to see me.

Now I'm not sure how many of you have had a baby c-section, or a baby a few weeks early, but let me say it was a real relief to see her tiny little body. Her little eyes looked at me as they held her there, pumping air into her lungs and they seemed to say, "Seriously Mom. I was pretty comfortable where I was." I just took her in as much as I could because I knew they would be whisking her away to Dallas as soon as they could.

Tommy got to see her and take pictures. I finally saw her again when they brought Kaydence in for one last look before they flew her to Dallas. I don't think I will ever forget that moment, seeing her there in a blue incubator all hooked up to all kinds of things. She reached up like she was waving at me and they started wheeling her out. Pastor Joy stopped the team and asked everyone to lift their hands up toward that bed and pray for Kaydence. It really was a great way to send her off.

As soon as she was gone, so was Tommy, his mom, and my parents. We had decided earlier on that he would go and someone would bring me later when I was able. Thankfully, I had some great friends to keep me company until my aunt could take my grandma home and come back to stay with me. I realized that evening how lucky I am to have such wonderful friends and family who just dropped everything that afternoon to come be with us in such a time of need.

Comments

  1. Oh Wendy,
    This one really made me weep. I think that is so amazing that your doctor prayed for you. What a wonderful feeling. I have had the same dr for years and he is very much a christian too, you just know you are in good hands. I had a C Section after trying to deliver on my own for hours and hours. I was very sick during the delivery because of the double dose of anesthetia and could barely hold my hands up to hold Ty, but once I did, what a feeling. Unfortunately it only lasted a second, but it makes it all okay. I know God has this one totally under control!
    Lauri Dean
    www.amazingdeans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Every Day with Jesus is Sweeter than the Day Before

Today started off okay, then went about as south as it can get, but ended up one of the best days EVER! I went home yesterday and boy, homecomings are sweet these days! It doesn't get much better than little arms being so excited to wrap around your neck. As I drove in to my parents' house, there was sweet little Abigail jumping and waving at me. Of course my mother had her out "helping" her in the yard. Then today I got to wake up with my kids. It used to be such a chore to get up in the mornings, and I have to admit that physically I am still very exhausted, but waking up to my kids is a blessed feeling each day now. I was even excited to go to Dr. Blackwell's office today. I carried him, his nurses, and Cheryl strawberries from the Berry Patch in Fairfield. My cousin owns it and I must say the berries are super sweet and awesome. Yes, this is a quick commercial for him! My day was made when Dr. Blackwell thanked me for the berries and I told him they were a t

Kaydence is turning 3!

I realize it's been forever since I've written here, but life is so busy! I felt the urge to write this, because, let's be honest, there is no way Facebook will let me post a status this long. Kaydence turns 3 in a matter of minutes. She will probably be 3 years old by the time I get through writing this post. Where does the time go? It seems like just yesterday I was pregnant with her and feeling like I wanted to just wake up from a bad dream. Today, she is turning into a sweet little girl. Where do I even start? I guess I'll start with a word of thanksgiving that God has blessed me with such a treasure. I still don't understand why He would choose me to care for a child like Kaydence Grace. I'm really unworthy of any blessings, yet He chose me for her and her for me. She melts me every single day. You see, I'm still the same sinner I was when I started this blog. I'm not perfect, but He washes away my sins anyway. I'm so thankful. The sins chang

We are halfway done!

I cannot believe we are halfway done with this journey here in Baltimore! I do feel like we are making some gains here and I am thankful God placed Kennedy Krieger Institute in our life. First of all, I only wish we could have started this a few years ago because when I am on the CMV mommies page on Facebook, I see what other kids with her same symptoms and diagnoses can do versus what Super K has not yet accomplished. "But Wendy, you shouldn't make comparisons!" Yet all parents do. Some days I think maybe I have let her down by not being pushier about her therapy, but then again this has been uncharted territory every single minute of her life. No two CMV kids are alike in their ailments because each brain is affected differently. Once again I am so thankful we are at Our Children's House. It is a nice walk to and from therapy and the weather has been pretty amazing. When we got here it was Texas hot and then it cooled off really low, only to level off to really nic